Install only the needed *applications*

Hello,

After using linux for some years, I now know which applications
I like best for each task (text editing, graphics, www browsing,...).
for the same reason, I also realize that I always end up with a lot
of unneded stuff on my HD, unless I do spend a lot of time picking
packages by hand, with trial and error.

Now, let's assume that I have successfully installed the bare, bare
debian system on a PC. At this point, **without net access**, what is
the best (script based) way to:

       1) install X11 with only the server for the card I actually
       have

       2) declare the *single applications* (not packages or packages
group)
	I need, and let the system sort all the dependencies out and put
        on the PC the *minimum* set of debs needed (picking them from
*all*
	the CDs)?

In other words, I would like to be able to say through a script:

       **I** want to use {gcc, perl, mutt, apache, postfix,
                          cups and not lpd,
                          pppd, iptables, ssh
                          blackbox and no other file managers,
                          emacs without X support, bash, fetchmail,
                          gimp and gimp only, no other GNOME things
                          konqueror and no other kde things
                          ....add your favourite apps here

                          }

          **YOU** (bare debian system) sort out all the dependencies and
          pick only what is needed from the CD(s) while I go to lunch

keep in mind that I don't need some automatic multiple installation
method,
like kickstart in Red Hat, and, for several reasons not worth discussing
here,
cannot build and burn custom CDs. I only have one PC, and want to fully
customize it for my needs in the shortest possible time right after
installation, from the default debian cd set.

       Any ideas?

		TIA,

			Marco Fioretti