Re: Install only the needed *applications*

On Thursday 06 September 2001 10:40, Marco Fioretti spoke wisely:
> Hello,
>
> After using linux for some years, I now know which applications
> I like best for each task (text editing, graphics, www browsing,...).
> for the same reason, I also realize that I always end up with a lot
> of unneded stuff on my HD, unless I do spend a lot of time picking
> packages by hand, with trial and error.
>
> Now, let's assume that I have successfully installed the bare, bare
> debian system on a PC. At this point, **without net access**, what is
> the best (script based) way to:
>
>        1) install X11 with only the server for the card I actually
>        have
>
>        2) declare the *single applications* (not packages or packages
> group)
> 	I need, and let the system sort all the dependencies out and put
>         on the PC the *minimum* set of debs needed (picking them from
> *all*
> 	the CDs)?
>
> In other words, I would like to be able to say through a script:
>
>        **I** want to use {gcc, perl, mutt, apache, postfix,
>                           cups and not lpd,
>                           pppd, iptables, ssh
>                           blackbox and no other file managers,
>                           emacs without X support, bash, fetchmail,
>                           gimp and gimp only, no other GNOME things
>                           konqueror and no other kde things
>                           ....add your favourite apps here
>
>                           }
>
>           **YOU** (bare debian system) sort out all the dependencies and
>           pick only what is needed from the CD(s) while I go to lunch
>
> keep in mind that I don't need some automatic multiple installation
> method,
> like kickstart in Red Hat, and, for several reasons not worth discussing
> here,
> cannot build and burn custom CDs. I only have one PC, and want to fully
> customize it for my needs in the shortest possible time right after
> installation, from the default debian cd set.
>
>        Any ideas?
>

> 		TIA,
>
> 			Marco Fioretti

dselect
apt-get install <all the packages you need>

i would recommend dselect, because you get the recommendations for additional
packages, too, not only the absolutely needed depends. But that could be
against that, what you really want to do.

--
Daniel Kleine-Albers
dka@dka-edv.de