Re: Debian's default MTA + MDA

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:38:58AM +1000, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
| Hello. I am still preparing to install Debian, but I am not sure of what the
| default MTA is. I get the impression that it is exim, but I have not been
| able to find any definitive answer anywhere in the Debian Documentation
| Project. How is one supposed to find out this sort of information?

Hmm, ... default ... I guess whatever dselect or tasksel or whatever
part of the install system picks something is the default.  It really
doesn't matter.  I think that exim is the most commonly used, but
choose whatever system you want.  exim is fairly easy to configure for
"normal" systems by using eximconfig.  If you're not sure what answer
you should pick for something, just holler (well, ask nicely <wink>)
and we'll help you out.

| And another thing: what is the default MDA? (Does exim function as its own
| MDA?)

Most (all?) full-fledged MTAs can function as an MDA as well.  I know
for a fact that exim and sendmail can both deliver mail to a user's
inbox (which is MDA functionality).  The distinction between MTA and
MDA can be kind of blurred unless you look at, eg, procmail which is
not an MTA at all but can function as an MDA.

HTH,
-D