Re: locales, character sets, the like...

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:07:58PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 'scuse me, this is irritating me too much at the moment. I did some
> research to find it out myself, but clearly didn't look in the right
> places, while I can continue looking, maybe someone can save me time
> during my test week and just point in the right direction?
>
> I am trying to figure out the LOCALE stuff and character set settings.
> Where can I find out what and how to setup my locale (does that include
> language settings etc.)? Secondly, how does one control the character
> set? I assume it defaults to an iso-8859-1 character set? I have tried
> setting mutt's "$charset" to iso-8859-1, but an email with:

Easiest thing to do is set the LANG variable in one or both of
/etc/environment or ~/.bashrc.  The default character set should be "C"
(aka ASCII).  For instance, I have LANG="en_US" (which translates to
iso-8859-1 for the character set, and changes collating slightly).
Choose whatever is appropriate for your language/nationality...

> and an e^ (ê) comes out as "\352". (What is 352 anyway? Should be one
> byte? So what, octal?) The "source" of the email is encoded as "=EA",
> this is as I remember it from my pine days, and it did work well in
> pine. (I set my charset to iso-8859-1 as well, iirc.)

 8**2 * 3 + 8**1 * 5 + 8**0 * 2 == 234 (base 10)

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>