Re: Debian's default MTA + MDA

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 10:06:01PM -0400, dman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:38:58AM +1000, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> | Hello. I am still preparing to install Debian, but I am not sure of what the
> | default MTA is. I get the impression that it is exim,

> Hmm, ... default ... I guess whatever dselect or tasksel or whatever
> part of the install system picks something is the default.

...which is exim.

> exim is fairly easy to configure for
> "normal" systems by using eximconfig.

eximconfig also generates a well-commented config file, so editing it
manually to accomodate less-standard configurations is pretty easy.

> | And another thing: what is the default MDA? (Does exim function as its own
> | MDA?)
>
> Most (all?) full-fledged MTAs can function as an MDA as well.  I know
> for a fact that exim and sendmail can both deliver mail to a user's
> inbox (which is MDA functionality).

exim's MDA functionality is a bit more extensive than sendmail's...
I no longer install procmail on machines that I set up, because I
haven't yet run into anything that procmail can do and exim can't.
(Of course, now that I've said that, I fully expect procmail's fans
to make a list...)  And, like the config file, exim filter
definitions are human-readable.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox