Re: HowTo install X on Woody today - Please help, thanks :)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:45:29PM -0700, tluxt wrote:
> --- "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:52:59AM -0700, tluxt wrote:
> > > What is the way to properly install X (to prepare for KDE) on a Woody system today?
> > >
> > 2. apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system
>
> Tasksel is broken under woody, I found.  It won't install any X option -
> basic or complete.

The command above does not use tasksel. The x-window-system package is
simply a dummy package that depends on the packages providing X.

> What commands does one use to get what tasksel refers to as the
> most comprehensive set of packages for the X install?

'apt-cache show x-window-system' and look at the Depends line.
Installing all those packages will do the same thing as (a properly
working) x-window-system package will.

> If the packages have not yet migrated to woody, but I wish to try
> them anyway on woody, how can I find out myself (without being told)
> what packages I'd need to get from unstable to do the X install?

See above.

> what's the/a good way to dl all those needed X packages from unstable?
> apt-get -d ...... ?    (And, how do I tell it to get from Un, not Te?)

To get the packages, try:
s/stable/unstable/ in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install x-window-system
If the x-window-system is broken, then
apt-get install x-window-system-core lbxproxy libdps1-dbg \
	libdps-dev libxaw7-dbg libxaw7-dev proxymngr twm xfs xfwp \
	xlibmesa3-dbg xlibmesa-dev xlibosmesa3-dbg xlibosmesa-dev \
	xlibs-dbg xlibs-dev xnest xprt xspecs xterm xvfb
Make sure you then undo the changes to /etc/apt/sources.list
and apt-get update when done.

> This is an example of how the Debian Testing page
> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
> is way behind on providing essential info about the current issues
> in getting a testing system up & running.  :(
>
> I know this is a volunteer organization.  I'd like to encourage someone who is
> able to spend .5 or 1 hour to write a quick "Installing debian testing HowTo" or
> FAQ that would enable people to avoid having to search the lists & docs for hours
> on end for info about how to just get a basic X system up on Woody!

Volunteering?

> Also, is the debian-testing list broken?  I sent the original message in this
> thread to that list, but the mailing list page
> http://lists.debian.org/devel.html
> lists no messages there later than April!  :(

I will send a message to the listmasters regarding this one.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org