Re: HowTo install X on Woody today - Please help, thanks :)

Thanks again!  -   A few more questions:
(Essentially: x-window-system isn't right?)

--- "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:45:29PM -0700, tluxt wrote:
> > --- "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> > > >
> > > 2. apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system
> >
> > Tasksel is broken under woody, I found.  It won't install any X option -
> > basic or complete.
> >
> The command above does not use tasksel. The x-window-system package is
> simply a dummy package that depends on the packages providing X.

I wasn't as clear as possible.  I knew the above was an apt command, not tasksel.
That was a comment about my experience with tasksel.

I have tried:
apt-get update
apt-get install x-window-system

My result was:
debian:/var/cache/apt# apt-get install x-window-system
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package x-window-system

So, what's the source of the problem?
Is "apt-get install x-window-system" not the correct command?
Or, something else?

Previously I had tried tasksel, on both of the X selections.
Here is the result for one attempt:

debian:/var/cache/apt# tasksel
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package task-x-window-system has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package task-x-window-system has no installation candidate

> > What commands does one use to get what tasksel refers to as the
> > most comprehensive set of packages for the X install?
> >
> 'apt-cache show x-window-system' and look at the Depends line.
> Installing all those packages will do the same thing as (a properly
> working) x-window-system package will.

'apt-cache show x-window-system' said something like (IIRC): not found
There is no file starting "x-window..." in my /v/c/a/a.

For your reference:
debian:/var/cache/apt/archives# ls x*
xaw3dg_1.3-6.9potato1_i386.deb
xbase-clients_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xbase-clients_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xbooks_3.3.6-1_all.deb
xcontrib_3.3.3.1-0.1_i386.deb
xdm_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xext_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xf86setup_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xfonts-100dpi_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-100dpi_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xfonts-75dpi_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-75dpi_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xfonts-base_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-base_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xfonts-cjk_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-cyrillic_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-pex_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-scalable_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xfonts-scalable_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xfree86-common_3.3.6-11potato32_all.deb
xfree86-common_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xfree86-common_4.1.0-2_all.deb
xfs_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xlib6g-dev_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xlib6g_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xlib6g_4.0.3-4_all.deb
xlib6g_4.1.0-2_all.deb
xlibmesa3_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xlibs_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xlibs_4.1.0-2_i386.deb
xmanpages_3.3.6-2_all.deb
xmh_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xnest_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xpm4g_3.4k-5_i386.deb
xproxy_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xprt_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xserver-common_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xserver-common_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xserver-sis_0.990907-2_i386.deb
xserver-svga_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xserver-vga16_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xserver-xfree86_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xsm_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xterm_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xutils_4.0.3-4_i386.deb
xvfb_3.3.6-11potato32_i386.deb
xviddetect_0.3-4_all.deb
debian:/var/cache/apt/archives# exit

> > what's the/a good way to dl all those needed X packages from unstable?
> > apt-get -d ...... ?    (And, how do I tell it to get from Un, not Te?)
> >
> To get the packages, try:
> s/stable/unstable/ in /etc/apt/sources.list
> apt-get update
> apt-get install x-window-system
> If the x-window-system is broken, then
> apt-get install x-window-system-core lbxproxy libdps1-dbg \
>  libdps-dev libxaw7-dbg libxaw7-dev proxymngr twm xfs xfwp \
>  xlibmesa3-dbg xlibmesa-dev xlibosmesa3-dbg xlibosmesa-dev \
>  xlibs-dbg xlibs-dev xnest xprt xspecs xterm xvfb
> Make sure you then undo the changes to /etc/apt/sources.list
> and apt-get update when done.

I'm gonna hold off on doing this till I get your reply on the above.

> > This is an example of how the Debian Testing page
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
> > is way behind on providing essential info about the current issues
> > in getting a testing system up & running.  :(
> >
> > I know this is a volunteer organization.  I'd like to encourage someone who is
> > able to spend .5 or 1 hour to write a quick "Installing debian testing HowTo" or
> > FAQ that would enable people to avoid having to search the lists & docs for hours
> > on end for info about how to just get a basic X system up on Woody!
> >
> Volunteering?

Sure, I could do that, when I know enough to get my upgrade accomplished.
With the caveat that I'm not the most expert source there is.

> > Also, is the debian-testing list broken?  I sent the original message in this
> > thread to that list, but the mailing list page
> > http://lists.debian.org/devel.html
> > lists no messages there later than April!  :(
> >
> I will send a message to the listmasters regarding this one.

Thanks. :)