Re: Kernel upgrading

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:22:42PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm running Sid and am trying to upgrade to kernel 2.4.x from 2.2.x.
| However, I am also running Mandrake Cooker, from which I configure and
| install lilo.  Are there any documents on installing a debian

Installing a kernel-image and installing a bootloader are separate
things, and the Debian packages thankfully keep it that way.  What I
mean is, when you install a kernel-image package, it will put the
kernel image and supporting files in /boot, but won't do anything else
to you.  (Well, it will make you update modutils if needed and make
you get initrd-tools).

| kernel-image but not installing the bootloader with debian?  I tried
| copying the kernel image to my mandrake /boot file and re-running lilo,
| but the kernel will not boot.

This means that lilo isn't properly configured to boot the kernel.  I
believe that the stock 2.4 kernels require an initrd.  Copy the
initrd (/boot/initrd-2.4.8_386 for me) that the kernel-image package
installed to your /boot directory, add an "initrd=<path>" argument to
the kernel and boot with the initrd.  For me, (I use grub), that means
my last command is "initrd <path>" instead of "boot".  I don't know
what needs to be done for lilo.

HTH,
-D