Kernel upgrading

Hi,

I'm running Sid and am trying to upgrade to kernel 2.4.x from 2.2.x.
However, I am also running Mandrake Cooker, from which I configure and
install lilo.  Are there any documents on installing a debian
kernel-image but not installing the bootloader with debian?  I tried
copying the kernel image to my mandrake /boot file and re-running lilo,
but the kernel will not boot.

(Once apt-get upgrade has finished running I'll try booting again and
I'll post the exact error message I get)

Thanks for any help,
Ross Burton