Re: Fonts in GTK

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:03:35 -0700
"J. D. Kitch" <adahma@io.com> wrote:

> I had a working GNOME install from Woody.  I just updated to Sid,
> and everything seemed to go quite nicely, but now in GNOME, or
> rather anything that uses GTK, I see only a bunch of little squares
> where I should be seeing text.  Can anyone tell me what I hosed, and
> what I need to do to correct it?
>
> TIA,
> jdk

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I used KDE2 for a while, but
didn't care for it. I tried researching the problem, but came up with few
references. I then came across the Debian TrueType Mini-HOWTO, and
installed xfs and xfstt, and then fiddled with the FontPath setting if the
XF86Config file (following instructions in the mini-HOWTO). Needless to
say, whatever I did works. Gnome, GTK, and X apps are now readable.

Try xfs and xfstt, and the HOWTO can be found through a google search.
They are small packages, and setup takes 5-10 minutes. And let me know if
it works for you.