Re: Fonts in GTK

%% "J." Roger Jones <rogjones@yahoo.com> writes:

  >> I had a working GNOME install from Woody.  I just updated to Sid,
  >> and everything seemed to go quite nicely, but now in GNOME, or
  >> rather anything that uses GTK, I see only a bunch of little squares
  >> where I should be seeing text.  Can anyone tell me what I hosed, and
  >> what I need to do to correct it?

  j> I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I used KDE2 for a while,
  j> but didn't care for it. I tried researching the problem, but came
  j> up with few references. I then came across the Debian TrueType
  j> Mini-HOWTO, and installed xfs and xfstt, and then fiddled with the
  j> FontPath setting if the XF86Config file (following instructions in
  j> the mini-HOWTO). Needless to say, whatever I did works. Gnome, GTK,
  j> and X apps are now readable.

You don't need to use either xfs or xfstt when you're using XFree86 4.x,
which is the version in both Woody and Sid.

XFree86 4.x contains loadable module capability, and there are loadable
server modules for TrueType fonts.  Thus you do not need a separate font
server.

You might check out my TrueType info page:

  http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools