Re: Fonts in GTK

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:47:40PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> * J. D. Kitch (adahma@io.com) [010903 19:16]:
> > I had a working GNOME install from Woody. I just updated to Sid, and
> > everything seemed to go quite nicely, but now in GNOME, or rather
> > anything that uses GTK, I see only a bunch of little squares where I
> > should be seeing text. Can anyone tell me what I hosed, and what I
> > need to do to correct it?
>
> I ran into this myself and tried about 1400 different things to fix it.
> I did... Problem is I'm not sure which did it ;-)
>
> I'd suggest two fairly simple things:
>
> -- Get rid of 'xfs' (if you don't need it -- you *don't* need it for
> local TrueType font support, for example)

This appears to be the fix.

I had this problem last night on several machines when I upgraded from 4.0.3
to 4.1.0.  I restarted X and the fonts were still all screwy.  Then I killed
xfs .. problem solved.  I also restarted xfs and it worked fine from then
on.

Perhaps there was some sort of protocol change between 4.0.3 and 4.1.0 and
the upgrade neglected to restart xfs?  I admit that I upgraded while I was
running X and xfs probably couldn't have been safely restarted, but it would
have been nice to have some sort of notice saying so.