Re: Can't install latest gnucash

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:39:32PM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
| Andy Davidson <'pheon@hevanet.com'> writes:
|
| > I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of gnucash which has some
| > features I need that are not in the stable version (1.3.4)  But it is
| > only in unstable, so I added the following line to sources.list
| > 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/ unstable main
| > and did an 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get install gnucash'.
| >
| > But it failed with the following messages:
| > 	Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| > 	requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| > 	distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| > 	or been moved out of Incoming.
| >
| > 	Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
| > 	the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
| > 	that package should be filed.
| > 	The following information may help to resolve the situation:
| >
| > 	Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
| > 	  gnucash: Depends: libgal9 (>= 0.10) but it is not installable
| > 	           Depends: libgtkhtml14 (>= 0.11.1) but it is not installable
| >
| > Am I out of luck until more is done with gnucash? Or have I --- heaven
| > forfend! --- made a mistake somewhere?
|
| It's not your fault.  Those files aren't installable because they
| don't exist in the archives.  Annoyingly, when libgal and libgtkhtml's
| major version number keeps getting incremented, so when those packages
| are updated, the older versions that gnucash depends are no longer
| available.  For example, libgal is now up to libgal11, but the gnucash
| version in unstable still depends on libgal9.  Since libgal9 is no
| longer available, you'll have to wait until gnucash is updated to
| depend on libgal11.  Such is life with unstable.

Oh, that's what happened.  Since I installed gnucash & dependencies
manually I still have the debs in a serparate location.  Would you
like me to send them to you?  FYI -- guile gets updated, and somehow,
as a result of dependencies gnome-games-locale and gnome-card-games
get updated.  Then you either need to force something or update all
gnome-games.

I'm running woody with some stuff from sid that isn't (or wasn't at
the time) in woody.

| Maybe the gnucash in woody won't have broken dependencies...

gnucash in woody is really old -- it's the same as potato.

| Also, typically when you install packages in stable that are from
| unstable, you need to build them yourself (apt-get source ...) since
| potato packages are build against libc5 whereas woody/sid packages are
| build against libc6.
|
| Confused yet?  :)

No, potato uses libc6.  Slink, I think, used libc5.

-D