Re: Can't install latest gnucash

Andy Davidson <'pheon@hevanet.com'> writes:

> I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of gnucash which has some
> features I need that are not in the stable version (1.3.4)  But it is
> only in unstable, so I added the following line to sources.list
> 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/ unstable main
> and did an 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get install gnucash'.
>
> But it failed with the following messages:
> 	Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> 	requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> 	distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> 	or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> 	Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> 	the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> 	that package should be filed.
> 	The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
> 	Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> 	  gnucash: Depends: libgal9 (>= 0.10) but it is not installable
> 	           Depends: libgtkhtml14 (>= 0.11.1) but it is not installable
>
> Am I out of luck until more is done with gnucash? Or have I --- heaven
> forfend! --- made a mistake somewhere?

It's not your fault.  Those files aren't installable because they
don't exist in the archives.  Annoyingly, when libgal and libgtkhtml's
major version number keeps getting incremented, so when those packages
are updated, the older versions that gnucash depends are no longer
available.  For example, libgal is now up to libgal11, but the gnucash
version in unstable still depends on libgal9.  Since libgal9 is no
longer available, you'll have to wait until gnucash is updated to
depend on libgal11.  Such is life with unstable.

Maybe the gnucash in woody won't have broken dependencies...

Also, typically when you install packages in stable that are from
unstable, you need to build them yourself (apt-get source ...) since
potato packages are build against libc5 whereas woody/sid packages are
build against libc6.

Confused yet?  :)

> An additional question: If I now remove the above line from
> sources.list and do 'apt-get update' will I have removed unstable
> stuff from my package lists?

Yep.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>