Re: Can't install latest gnucash

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:35:26PM -0700, Andy Davidson wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of gnucash which has some
> features I need that are not in the stable version (1.3.4)  But it is
> only in unstable, so I added the following line to sources.list
> 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/ unstable main
> and did an 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get install gnucash'.
>
> But it failed with the following messages:
> 	Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> 	requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> 	distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> 	or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> 	Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> 	the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> 	that package should be filed.
> 	The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
> 	Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> 	  gnucash: Depends: libgal9 (>= 0.10) but it is not installable
> 	           Depends: libgtkhtml14 (>= 0.11.1) but it is not installable

My guess would be these libraries somehow conflict with something in the
stable branch.  You'd probably have to do a "dist-upgrade" with all that
implies...  The newest version definitely does alot more than previous
ones (some of the changes are rather dramatic and take some getting used
to).

> Am I out of luck until more is done with gnucash? Or have I --- heaven
> forfend! --- made a mistake somewhere?

Generally it's not good to mix stable and unstable anyway. Perhaps
someone has a Potato version of GNUCash (and it's 300 dependencies!).

> An additional question: If I now remove the above line from
> sources.list and do 'apt-get update' will I have removed unstable
> stuff from my package lists?

Should be okay.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>