Re: DRI for 3dFX Voodoo 4/5 and Xfree86 4.1.0

Eloy Aguirre wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 10:09:31PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   note that DefaultDepth 16 is required for voodoo3. That's the most
> > annoying part - you cannot play games (or run other openGL programs)
> > using same X session as you generally would prefer to run your other X
> > apps in. That just plain sucks. Of ocurse, you can start X -depth 24 :1
> > and work there, and then start X -depth 16 :0 a play games there (AFAIK
> > the one with DRI has to be :0).
> >
> >   Is this a HW problem of voodoo3 (I thought it supports 32 bit color
> > interface, but has 16 bit color inside). Is there any better workaround?
> > Any light in the future? Do other servers have same limitation?
>
> The Voodoo3 only supports 32 bit color in 2D applications, i.e. X. In 3D
> applications you are stuck with 16 bit color, this is a hardware
> limitation and there is no way around it.

  generally - why doesn't DRI allow the fullscreen application run in
different depths? It makes sense for 2D (X) and 3D (openGL) to run in
different depth - one example is this HW limitations but I guess there
are other (performance etc.). I mean come on, even windows can do
that:-) [well, in windows I cannot run another graphic shell which I can
use as workaround for this problem:-)]

  what about other cards? any pointers?

	erik