Re: modem not detected

#include <hallo.h>
fouad HENNI wrote on Mon Sep 03, 2001 um 09:03:14AM:

> I have an internal Motorola SM56 internal modem.
> I noticed that 'wvdial' tried to detect the modem only
> on the serial ports 'ttyS0' and 'ttyS1'.

MoDems emulate the serial ports. There are crappy WinModem (aka
SoftModem) cards which may appear to have modem functionality emulated
by a Windows driver, but this devices are not real modems. Bring the
card back to your vendor if (s)he claimed it to be a real modem and did
not explicitely mention that you need Windows driver for it.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.