Re: Poor sound output with new emu10k1 drivers

On 2 Sep 2001, Brian Nelson wrote:

> I upgraded my kernel to 2.4.9 to try out the updated emu10k1 drivers
> for my SB Live soundcard.  However, the newer drivers sound like
> crap.  The sound is somewhat distorted, tinny, and lacking in bass.
> It doesn't matter if I'm playing a wav, mp3, or ogg.  All suck.

Sounds like the inversion problem Daniel Bertrand corrected a while ago.

> Reverting back to my old 2.4.6 kernel corrects everything.

Pre-2.4.8 kernels have a much older emu10k1 driver (v0.7 vs. v0.15 in
2.4.8+). It's recommended that you track cvs.

> Has anyone else noticed this?  Why update a "stable" kernel with a
> broken driver?

It happens, just keep abreast of the mailing list
emu10k1@opensource.creative.com. I have a feeling another patch will be
sent to Linus and Alan quite soon.

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun@email.unc.edu