Poor sound output with new emu10k1 drivers

I upgraded my kernel to 2.4.9 to try out the updated emu10k1 drivers
for my SB Live soundcard.  However, the newer drivers sound like
crap.  The sound is somewhat distorted, tinny, and lacking in bass.
It doesn't matter if I'm playing a wav, mp3, or ogg.  All suck.

Reverting back to my old 2.4.6 kernel corrects everything.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Why update a "stable" kernel with a
broken driver?

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>