Re: mounting CDs? and emacs under SU?

Thus spake Peter Christensen:
> I'm still learning about the basics of Linux, so please excuse a very
> basic question:  If I want to access a CD do I need to add a line to
> /etc/fstab:
>
>   /dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide
>
> and then under superuser type:
>
>   mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
>
> This is how I did it (I think!) before my hard drive crashed and I had
> to replace it.  Now that I've reloaded Linux I can't edit /etc/fstab
> with emacs.  Emacs works OK with a normal signon, but under SU I get the
> following messages:
>
>   Xlib:  connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   Xlib:  Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>   emacs:  Cannot connect to X server :0.0
>   check the display environment variable or use "-d"
>   Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> connections from your machine
>
> So...  two questions:  Do I always need to type the full mount command,
> or is there a shortcut for this?  And how can I get emacs to work under
> Superuser?

It looks like your /etc/fstab is OK - you should be able to mount as a
normal user - try mount /cd.  That's what the 'user' in the 4th column
means.  As for the emacs problem, I'm out of my depth, at least without
some more information (and probably then as well) - but - are you doing
this in an X session?  Are you running emacs or xemacs?  This might help
to sort things out with someone who knows more about this.  I'm pretty new
myself.
Good luck,
Steve