Re: lesser memory usage: galeon or netscape?

on Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 08:27:09PM -0700, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 07:51:51PM -0700, michael young wrote:
> > Hello....
> >
> > which consumes lesser memory...galeon or netscape?

At startup, Netscape's the lighter program, about 9 MB for Netscape, vs.
somewhat more for Galeon.  Both programs, however, grow with use, and
are subject to memory leaks (though as of 0.11.5, Galeon's doing pretty
well at keeping this under control).  My comparison point is Nestscape
4.76, which is still far buggier and has a far poorer interface.

The other consideration you may want to factor in is processor speed.
On an older box (like my PPro 180MHz), Netscape is considerably more
responsive than any of the Mozilla/Gecko based browsers (Galeon,
Skipstone, Mozilla).  It's getting close to a toss up for me in terms of
features, stability, and responsiveness, though I find using Galeon on
this platform to be frustrating.

> > also, is there a fix already for the "bug" in galeon (more on
> > mozilla actually) as the archives suggest...?
>
> Both consume a fair amount, though I'd hazard Galeon weighs in under
> mozilla.  Galeon is also much more responsive interface-wise.

Galeon figures considerably smaller and faster than Mozilla in my
experience.