Good mail management techniques?

Hi,

I'm just wondering how people manage their email...

I've basically got a .procmailrc happening, which shoves each mailing list into
it's own file in my home directory, and Pine, IMAP (via Webmail) accesses it all
nicely. I have looked at Mutt, but being a Pine weeny it freaks me out everytime
I try to use it too much.

My main inbox is in /var/spool/mail

The main problem I have is that each mailbox/folder/whatever you want to call
it, grows without bounds. I wouldn't mind something to automatically shoved mail
in a folder for each month or something like that, but I don't think that
IMAP/Pine etc support multilevel folders, or do they?

Anyway, I'm just interested in seeing how other people do it, and what is
considered "best practise"

Andrew