Re: Programming in Java

On 02 Sep 2001 14:34:56 -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:

> I'm interested in learning the Java programming language.

I suggest aquiring a good book, a number of these are available :)

> What do I need to install the JVM and program in Java on my Debian

There are a number of JDKs available for Debian GNU/Linux. Many seem to
like using the IBM/Sun Java Development Tools, however that's purely
personal preference - you might also give some thought to various
runtime JREs though, kaffe is good if you're not developing Swing GUIs.

Have a look the packages "jikes" and "ibm-fdk1.1-installer" for example.

You're also going to want emacs and maybe Apache/Tomcat for
Servlets/JSP. Pretty soon you'll hate Java like everyone else :)

--jcm