(OT sorta ) Re: question about hostname FOLLOWUP: EXIM

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 08:04:51PM -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 'kay, important things first: what is that there furshlugginer "HTH"? I
> notice lots o' people usin' it. :)

HTH :== hope that helps

> I went onto the #debian channel on openprojects.net IRC and asked around
> about the exim/fetchmail thing. Was told to add this to my .fetchmailrc file:
>
> with mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
>
> ... and now it works. Or seems to.
>
> But I must know: WHY does it work? And is procmail REPLACING exim, or some
> other part of the quilt? How to sort out sendmail/exim/procmail/fetchmail
> and the slew of names ...

Hmmm.  ROFL.  This is how I think the scheme works.  Sendmail and Exim
are what are known as MTA's (mail transport agents) .  One can choose
sendmail or exim to do the same thing.  So no, procmail is not replacing
exim.  Actually procmail is not really needed but is nice to have  as
a way of doing what the name implies , processing mail.  In my case
(I use procmail as well) it acts as a go between Exim and fetchmail.
Procmail is actually quite versatile and can be used as an mda (mail
delivery agent ) and the like... The -d arg is a recipient flag. Don't
know what the %T does exactly wrt recpient.   Now I'd like to know about
that one.  Fetchmail is best described as a program which retrieves
your mail off of your ISP's mail server. If you're really into
fetchmail , goto

http://www.tuxedo.org/%7Eesr/fetchmail/fetchmail%2DFAQ.html

Lots of stuff about mutt there also.  And I think your error message
was due to using localhost which may be 127.0.0.1 (sort of the network
equivalent of /dev/null)  I had to use

/usr/etc/route add -host host.infected.codered.com  gw 127.0.0.1
to keep my webserver logs from filling up a while back...

> I crave me some clarity. Gotta go read some manpages.

Yuppers, I think I could spend a lifetime trying to learn all there
is to know about email.  So many options/programs etc.
There's also stuff in /usr/doc/procmail etc. as well.

You may also wish to visit http://www.intp.org.  I have a hunch you
may well be one of us...  The "But I must know: WHY does it work?"
is a real tipoff.

--
My inner child is cranky ---- www.hardradio.com
homepage : www.pecanquest.com