Re: how does a linux user open a */mdb file?

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:53:33PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> smoeone emailed me a *.mdb database. is there a *.mdb reader as
> a debian package? (i presume it's some database format -- i'd
> love to just get it into postgresql, or at least tab-sep-text.)
>
> 	$ dpkg -S \*mdb\*
> 	postgresql: /usr/lib/postgresql/doc/html/app-vacuumdb.html
> 	postgresql: /usr/share/man/man1/vacuumdb.1.gz
> 	postgresql-doc: /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/html/postgres/app-vacuumdb.html
> 	postgresql: /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/vacuumdb
> 	$ apt-cache search mdb
> 	$
>
> where's the *.mdb reader?

It's a MicroSoft Access database file.  There's an MDBTools project at
SourcForge that's trying to make it possible to extract data/schema from
these files (provided they aren't encrypted with user level security --
database level password security is/was trivially easy to break).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>