Debian partitioning error

Hi, I'm having a problem installing Debian on an 800mb (or so) hard disk. I
partition it so that there is no swap and the entire drive is devoted to
Linux. However, when I try to make Linux bootable from the HDD, it says LILO
can't install and I might try making a /boot partition. What's the problem,
and how do I do what it suggests? I've also tried installing LILO in the root
partition, and told it to make an MBR, but the machine can't boot Linux if I
do, the drive is unbootable.

Thanks,
Deven G.