Re: konqueror config error

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Greg Ward wrote:
[...]
> > First, I did an apt-get --purge remove list_of_all_kde_packages,
> > then a reinstall of the same list.  The config problem still persisted.
> >
> > I then repeated the purge, removed ~/.kde, /var/lib/kde2, /etc/kde2,
> > and every other kde-related file I could find on the system.
> > This time, when I reinstalled kde, things were working.
>
> I did this, and now it works!  I can run Konqueror, kscd, and kmix (the
> only KDE apps I use regularly) without problems.  This is KDE 2.1.1.
> I'm not entirely sure where I downloaded the .debs from; for a while I
> had

   You must not have reinstalled the exact same set of package then. Or
maybe kdebase was not properly installed on your system the first time.

   I uninstalled all the kde packages, cleaned up and reinstalled the
exact same set of packages and it still did not work. So i investigated
a bit more and found the kcmkonq.desktop file. It contained a reference
to kcontrol/file-manager.html which was not installed on my system. So I
searched for it on the Debian site and found that it was provided by
kdebase. So I installed kdebase and this solved the problem.

   Except that kdebase recommends kdewallpapers, kscreensaver and
kdebase-audiolibs (plus a few others) which I definitely do not want to
install on my system (why would I?). So I am now in recommends~depends
hell in dselect.

   Btw, I entered a bug report about this problem (I mention it here to
avoid duplicate bug reports). I don't know yet the bug number but the
subject is 'konqueror depends on kdebase...'.

   I'm sure this will be resolved in due time.

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
  Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment