Re: konqueror config error

On 29 August 2001, Francois Gouget said:
>  * "Error - KDE Control Module
>    There was an error loading module 'Settings/FileBrowsing/kcmkonq.desktop'
>    The diagnostic is:"
>    And that's all, it never says what the diagnostic really is.
>
>  * Then I get the same error for
>    'Settings/FileBrowsing/filetypes.desktop' and
>    'Settings/WebBrowsing/konqhtml.desktop'.
>

>    So what's wrong? Did I forget to install some module or something? I
> cannot find any of these files on my system. Also I see that Greg Ward
> got the same problem but he never got any answer, at least not in public
> it seems

I did get one reply in private email, from Dale Farnsworth
<dale@farnsworth.org>:

> I've seen this problem on my Debian system for close to a year
> now.  If you have any suggestions on resolving it, I'd appreciate
> the info.

A few message later, Dale kindly revealed the magic trick: remove every
trace of KDE from your system and reinstall.  Purging all KDE packages
is just the beginning.  Here are Dale's exact words:

> First, I did an apt-get --purge remove list_of_all_kde_packages,
> then a reinstall of the same list.  The config problem still persisted.
>
> I then repeated the purge, removed ~/.kde, /var/lib/kde2, /etc/kde2,
> and every other kde-related file I could find on the system.
> This time, when I reinstalled kde, things were working.

I did this, and now it works!  I can run Konqueror, kscd, and kmix (the
only KDE apps I use regularly) without problems.  This is KDE 2.1.1.
I'm not entirely sure where I downloaded the .debs from; for a while I
had
  ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/2.1.1/distribution/deb stable main
in my /etc/apt/sources.list, but I can't remember if it was in
effect when I installed.

Needless to say, I am *very* reluctant to upgrade to KDE 2.2.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org