Re: how 2 replace xterm with rxvt?

* john smith (inquirer23@hotmail.com) [010831 16:12]:
> Hello,
>
> Pls CC me when replying...thanks!  I want to replace xterm with rxvt..I have
>
> installed rxvt but haven't removed xterm yet...should I? Anyway, couple of
> problems/questions
>
> rxvt should be smaller so it should load faster...yet it doesn't...it loads
> so slowwww...
>
> I try to load it (rxvt) via icewm toolbar using the command "rxvt" sometimes
>
> using "rxvt-xterm" (read that somewhere but didn't explain it too much...)
> to maybe speed it up to no avail...also tried the command
> "x-terminal-emulator" loads xterm if it's installed if not, it loads the
> super turtle rxvt terminal instead...
>
> any hints?

Both packages (rxvt, xterm) provide the virtual package
x-terminal-emulator and are managed by the alternatives system. In case
you're not familiar with it, that system allows you to configure which
package, from among many that provide a certain function, will be the
preferred provider on your system. See man update-alternatives for a
more thorough explanation, or simply use

update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator

for the quick fix. It will list all the packages you have installed
which provide x-terminal-emulator and ask you which one you want to use.
'fraid I can't help much with why rxvt runs slowly, though.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.