Re: Manually bring up NICs not found at install and/or rebuilding Kernel

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 06:23:01AM -0600, John Purser wrote:
| Some success!
|
| The command I used was modprobe eepro100 and both NIC's came up.  I'm

The driver/module is "eepro100" :-).  Driver and kernel module are
basically synonomous.

| running a Red Hat 7.1 box also but I'm hesitant to set the Debian box up
| exactly the same way because of formatting differences.
|
| So where should I put the modprobe info to load it at boot and where should
| I configure the ethernet cards?

In /etc/modutils/<some name you like> put
    alias eth0 eepro100
    alias eth1 eepro100

and run 'update-modules'.  update-modules will grab info from
everything in /etc/modutils and write it to /etc/modules.conf (and
overwrite any changes you may have made to /etc/modules.conf).

Also you need to configure the interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces.
Include a line that says "auto eth0" and "auto eth1" to bring up the
interfaces at boot time.  The alias line tells the kernel to use the
'eepro100' module whenever something tries to access either 'eth0' or
'eth1'.

HTH,
-D