From: Sebastiaan [mailto:S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 05:59
To: John Purser
Cc: 'debian users'
Subject: Re: Manually bring up NICs not found at install and/or
rebuilding Kernel

High,

> Hello,
>
> I've repeatedly installed Woody (vanilla) and Potato on my IBM and neither
> one recognizes the PCI NICs.  Red Hat and W2K get them first try but I
don't
> want either one on this box.
>
> During the last attempted install of Woody I tried using the "Configure
> Network" alternative but was told that there were no NIC's found which
means
> I have to load different modules in the kernel before I can configure.  So
> either I dynamically load the modules or I have to rebuild my kernel or
> someone gives me another option.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> Is there any way to bring up my NIC's without rebuilding my Kernel?

Which NIC's are you trying to load?

You might want to do it manually. After the installation process has
installed device drivers on the computer, swap to the second console and
activate it. There you go to /target/lib/modules/2.4.9 (or something),
look for your module and insmod it manually. When that works, go back to
the first console and continue to configure your network. After
installation you may want to run 'modconf' or edit /etc/modules to make
the module auto load.

> Would there be any advantage to installing potato and upgrading to Woody?
> Potato doesn't recognize my NIC's either but at least tasksel works.

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with tasksel. You do not have to install
additional packages if you want to make a NIC work.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan