Re: no mouse with X

* Cliff Sarginson (cliff@raggedclown.net) [010830 15:38]:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:51:15PM -0400, Eric Cheney wrote:
> >
> > Hello.  I'm trying to introduce a debian box to my office....I am not
> > a sysadmin, so I stumble a little bit with these things.  Anyway, I want to make
> > a good impression of deb.   I've installed woody.  I'm getting weird things
> > with the mouse.  Can somebody help?  Here's what's up.
> >
> > I loaded up X server and it connects and all that.  If I start X with
> > gpm, I get a mouse, but it is very erratic and unacceptable.  So, if
> > I remove gpm, and then restart X, the mouse works fine under X.  Ok,
> > if I then reboot, there's no connection to the mouse without gpm; so after
> > reboot (after removing gpm), the mouse is dead under X.
> >
> > In the XF86Config-4 setup file I have the mouse on /dev/psaux.  I checked,
> > and there is a link from /dev/psaux -> gpmdata.  I'm using a ps/2 mouse.
> >
> That is correct.

No, that is INcorrect. /dev/psaux should be a character device referring to
the PS/2 mouse port. If it's a symlink to the gpmdata fifo, what does
gpm read from? I don't know how it got like that, but here's how I
recommend setting it up:

gpm runs reading from /dev/psaux, which looks like this:

crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Aug 29 09:46 /dev/psaux

gpm repeats mouse data into /dev/gpmdata, which is a fifo that looks
like this:

prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Aug 29 09:46 /dev/gpmdata|

(the | represents that it's a fifo; not part of the filename)

for my wheel mouse, gpm.conf looks like this:
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""

So that it reads data in intellimouse ps/2 format and repeats the data
with no translation (so that X can also read it as intellimouse PS/2:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2
EndSection

(that's X 4, btw, but you get the idea, methinks).

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> Console mouse (gpm) and window managers don't always get on well, I recall
> this is often a particular problem with gnome.

They should get along fine, so long as the console mouse driver sticks
to driving the mouse on the console and the window manager sticks to
managing windows. To be really nitpicky, gnome is neither: it's a
desktop environment.

If you set up gpm to run fine and set X to run fine on top of it, it
should be very difficult for your {window,desktop} managers to mess it
up.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.