Re: no mouse with X

* Eric Cheney <eric@sociostat.org> (2001-08-30 19:30):
> I loaded up X server and it connects and all that.  If I start X with
> gpm, I get a mouse, but it is very erratic and unacceptable.  So, if
> I remove gpm, and then restart X, the mouse works fine under X.  Ok,
> if I then reboot, there's no connection to the mouse without gpm; so after
> reboot (after removing gpm), the mouse is dead under X.
>
> In the XF86Config-4 setup file I have the mouse on /dev/psaux.  I checked,
> and there is a link from /dev/psaux -> gpmdata.  I'm using a ps/2 mouse.

Try running /usr/sbin/gpmconfig, setting the device to /dev/psaux and
the repeat_type to raw.  Then modify the mouse device in XF86Config-4
and change it to /dev/gpmdata.  Hopefully now X and gpm should work
in harmony (it does on my machine).

If not, then it may be due to the /dev/psaux -> gpmdata symlink.  On
my machine, /dev/psaux is a device file, but gpmdata isn't:

--(smq@plato)-(~)% ls -l /dev/gpmdata
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            1 Aug 30 23:49 /dev/gpmdata

You could try removing the symlink and then reinstalling gpm, which
should recreate the /dev/gpmdata file.

Cheers,
Sean

--