Re: What do you do when pppconfig won't work?

> I am trying to set up Debian on a friends computer. I cannot get the modem
> connection (configured using pppconfig) to work. Her modem is a Motorola
> Voice SURFR 56k external on ttyS1. All the info I am supplying to pppconfig
> is correct. The connection is established but only for a few seconds (maybe
> 10 secs) before hangup. I use the same ISP and my modem connects no problem.
> There seems to be something strange about the modem, but it is not faulty and
> works with M$ you-know-what.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

It could be that /var/log/syslog can show you where to start. Perhaps you want
to post it here. Possibly better, skim plog man page, and plog together with

[01:23:31 tmp]$ zgrep -B4 -A1 local2 /usr/share/doc/ppp/README.Debian.gz
Syslog facility level:

The default level of LOG_DAEMON has been overridden (as described in the
pppd(8) man page), to be LOG_LOCAL2.  The intent being that local2 be sent
to /var/log/ppp.log for use by plog, if you add the following line to your
/etc/syslog.conf file:

local2.*                -/var/log/ppp.log

[01:23:38 tmp]$

Once you will have the log, either analyze it yourself to find a faulty point
or post it here for further analysis.