Re: Oracle on Debain 2.2.19

Quoting "Hight,  Steve" <Steve.Hight@netapp.com>:

> My 3 questions are:
>
> Anyone have a known good entry from /etc/apt/sources.list?
> What is the package required for installing Oracle (i.e. apt-get
> java-linux, or apt-get java-sdk or what?)
> Are there any other issues I will likely run into trying to get Oracle
> to run?

Having tested Oracle on Debian a bit (and not knowing anything about Oracle
before I started), here are a few pointers.  8.1.7 won't work under Progeny or
Woody, so stick with Potato (I didn't know how to fix it, libc incompatibilities
I believe).  I believe I had to apt-get the libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 from my base
install to get it working.  I tried installing from the Oracle documentation,
which turned out to be painful, inconsistent and wrong at points.  Read the
Oracle for Linux Installation HOWTO:
http://www.zx81.org.uk/computing/oracle/oracle-howto/oracle-howto.html and use
it in conjunction with the Oracle documentation to get a better idea what's
going on.  I also used the oracle user and the oinstall group from the Ora docs.
 I added the dbora script to my /etc/init.d/ (from the Ora docs) and added a
call of "$ORA_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start" because it wasn't listening for
connections.  Other than that, I tested with IBM and Sun 1.3 tarballs for my JDK
and the JDBC stuff seemed to work allright after a bit of tweaking.

--
Matthew H. Ray
mray@lordsofcomputing.com