Re: RedHat vs Debian?

on Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:11:07AM -0600, Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net) wrote:
> Thus spake Eduard Bloch (edi@gmx.de):
>
> > #include <hallo.h>
> > Robert L. Harris wrote on Thu Aug 30, 2001 um 09:33:21AM:
> >
> > > I'm looking for a study/comparison of RedHat vs Debian.  We have a
> > > number of boxes, some production, which run everything from RedHat
> > > 6.0 and newer.  I'd like to look at converting to Debian stable
> > > but need to justify my case
> >
> > If you don't exactly know, what Debian is, what the goals and the
> > advantages are, why are going to convert _production_ system to
> > another distribution? Don't misunderstand me, in my opinion Debian
> > is great and it is the best distribution for production systems, but
> > every system is as good as its administrator. If you know only how
> > to administrate RedHat and did not try Debian (on a testing system)
> > before, don't change anything on production systems, otherwise you
> > will probably end up in a desaster.
>
> I do know and understand.  I converted from RedHat to Debian about a
> year ago.  I need "facts and numbers" to give management for a
> comparison, not me just going in and saying "it's alot more stable and
> better".  They just don't buy that.

You're not likely to find that kind of information.  Most of the data
I'm aware of regarding RH v. Debian is anectodal.  That which isn't
exists in very raw format:  BugTraq, and other security updates.  Might
also look to see what the release dates of similar, high-profile,
bugfixes has been.

My suggestion borrows from both political and technical experience:  set
up a box (or set of boxes) running Debian, for selected services.  Note
carefully your admin time on the various systems, the issues
encountered, and the extent to which one solution performs differently
to another.  This allows you both to show direct personal experience,
and to phase any migration from one system to the next.  It's what's
called generally a "pilot" project.

Might also provide some grist for a good article discussing relative
merits of the two systems.