Re: Upgrading from 2.1r4 to 2.2

F Zimmermann wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Gary Jones wrote:

>> what happens if one has packages
>> which are later than what apt-get knows about. For example, I
>> installed X from 2.1r4 but found it didn't support my video card, so
>> installed a new copy of X from a tarball.
>
>Did you make your own .deb packages from the tar balls? Then you are lucky
>otherwise dpkg/apt wount see them at all.

No, I didn't. Is that the correct procedure? Continuing the above
example, dselect currently thinks that X version some.thing is
installed (whatever the version is included with slink), not 3.3.6
which actually is. I guess I can build .debs for the few things I have
installed manually, remove the manually installed stuff, then install
from .debs. Thanks for the info.

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!