Re: package in a bad way - what to do

on Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:26:35PM -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com (burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The document in Polish doesn't really contain anything useful regarding your
> > problem. Basically it just reiterates that packages marked
> > "reinstall-required" cannot be handled by dpkg unless you use
> > --force-reinstreq or whatever. Dead end there :D
>
> Wow. Thanks for checking that out!
>
> Still, my basic query seems to be being batted around like a bad joke, or
> ignored. Can no one advise me on why these options, which are prominently
> listed in the dpkg manpages, don't seem to work?
>
> I -loathe- inching into 'squeaky wheel' territory, since my experience is
> that the squeakiest people are sometimes (I -didn't- say "often" or
> "always" so no one accuse me o' that!) the most clueless.
>
> I guess I need someone to tell me whether I am a) asking a stupid
> question, or b) asking a question which has no answer. I'd sure like to
> know. And if (a), why is it stupid?

I recall posting a few direct suggestions that I don't believe were
responded to.  These issues can be difficult to resolve.  List traffic's
also been high the past couple of days, and I've been thinning out mail
significantly.  Currently the only record I've got of your issue locally
is what you've quoted in your own message (above), so I'm lacking a lot
of context.

Have you looked into the suggestions that I'd made regarding
postinstallation scripts?