Re: woody: segfaulting all over the place

* Frank Preut (debian@blinx.de) spake thusly:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 02:48:06PM -0300, Miguel Griffa wrote:
> > it happend to me once, it was memory,
> > you can donwload a boot disk with a mem tester (memtest86, as mentioned before)
> > and see what it says
> >

> hm, so i'm on the wrong track? let's see..
>
> i didn't think of memory because i didn't change anything there in the
> last six months.. but maybe it got wrecked recently so i tested it with
> the latest version 2.7 of memtest.. and indeed it came up with an error
> at the address 04e0 during test no. 4 so i tried playing around with the
> two 64 mb modules and the exact same error occurs no matter which module
> is installed in which lot.. ?? wtf, what is wrong here? and why did it
> work before, i'm quite sure that i got an error when i tested memory
> before.. could it be the cache (32k of level 1, 512 of level 2)? and
> couldn't do anything about that, right?

I suspect that memory words may be stripped accross both modules, so
the error remains at the same address after the swap (in the different
part of the same word). Can you test each module separately? Or put
them in a different bank?

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)