Network troubles -- can't see past my own pc

Setting up a new pc - - I wanted to use debian -- and I don't have the CD -- So I thought I'd set up a basic machine via http/ftp.
I have the base system installed from floppies (yeeesh I know) and I defined my NIC during the setup -- it recognizes the card ok.
I have a second linux box running redhat 6.2 acting as my firewall for the internet.
I can't ping / telnet / ftp / do anything with my firewall or any other comuter on the network I have.

I don't know if it is a setup problem or what.

My machine is an athalon 1.2ghz 256mb DDR ram -- SMC3200 NIC (its actually a realtek 8029)

I could really use some help... I need to get it running today if possible.

I'm fairly new to setting this stuff up, so I'm sure that I am doing something dumb.

Jim Pallister