Re: Network troubles -- can't see past my own pc

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:34:48AM -0400, Jim Pallister wrote:
> Setting up a new pc - - I wanted to use debian -- and I don't have the CD -- So I thought I'd set up a basic machine via http/ftp.
> I have the base system installed from floppies (yeeesh I know) and I defined my NIC during the setup -- it recognizes the card ok.
> I have a second linux box running redhat 6.2 acting as my firewall for the internet.
> I can't ping / telnet / ftp / do anything with my firewall or any other comuter on the network I have.
>
> I don't know if it is a setup problem or what.
>
> My machine is an athalon 1.2ghz 256mb DDR ram -- SMC3200 NIC (its actually a realtek 8029)
>
> I could really use some help... I need to get it running today if possible.
>
> I'm fairly new to setting this stuff up, so I'm sure that I am doing something dumb.

Make sure you have the information correct in /etc/network/interfaces

iface eth0 inet static
	address ip.to.your.machine
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway ip.to.your.firewall

Then run -
/etc/init.d/networking reload

If that doesn't do it for you post back with what you have done.
hth,
kent