Re: Problem with the installaion of debian locking up

Blank
(Ignore the auto-generate word, "BLANK" at the beginning of this
post, that's Outlook Express doing that.)

Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

What does a "FrameBuffer" screen look like?  In the Debian
install program, (which comes up as soon as you type <ENTER> when
the "boot:" prompt comes up, the screen changes to a text-based
screen, which really looks like a GRAPHICS screen; it has color
(well, gray anyway) and windows, sort of, and screens that
scroll, with little arrows at the right of the screen (could use
a mouse with it; but there is no mouse-ability built in at this
point) so, you have to navigate around with the arrow keys, and
the <TAB> key, spacebar to select buttons, etc.  This sounds like
it *could* be the elusive FrameBuffer system, as I have been
trying to find out more about.

FrameBuffer *seems* to be a situation of "if you don't have
anything better to use"...if the install prog doesn't use
it--perhaps there is a *version* of the Debian install routine
that DOES?

SuSE Linux, as I mentioned, supports the ATI Rage 128 card right
from the INSTALL routine in the beginning.  It may be that it is
something special that the SuSE folks did--I really cannot tell
from the MAN pages in SuSE or anything; on the web page they
claim to have ATI Rage 128 support through the "XFree 3.3.6
supporting new graphics adapters: ATI Rage128".

Any idea of what I might do next, or who to contact (I'm waiting
for someone to rip that CD of the ISO image from lnxbbc.org)
so I don't have that to play with.

TIA,

--mVIIs