Re: XFree86 4.x RENDER extension...

On Aug 28 2001, William Leese wrote:
> Oddly enough, at home I have debian unstable running on a machine
> with an Ati Rage Pro, which ofcourse is Mach64 based, _with_ the
> RENDER extension.  Although before XFree86 4.1 there didn't seem to
> be support for it (atleast, i never got it work), but now RENDER
> simply works.

	That is good to know.

> Not that I use it though... because when i turn on anitaliasing in
> KDE only the ugliest fonts seem to be available to all X
> applications.

	I thought that only applications that used Qt were affected by
	this (I don't have a way to check this). On the other hand, it
	would be particularly good if it were possible to use Qt
	applications with anti-aliasing enabled, but with the option
	of using aliased fonts (one particular example: use of fixed
	width fonts with konsole).

> I'd rather have everything in a good font (lucida, helvetica) than
> have to look at an ugly one that is antialiased.

	I don't have good results with helvetica, since X doesn't come
	with good fonts (they are quite ugly, unless you substitute
	the helvetica fonts with something else or use third-party
	fonts), but I dig the appearance of Verdana.

	I wished there were a possibility of telling some applications
	(especially browsers) to use, say, Verdana, whenever it saw a
	page request something with Helvetica.

	Using my personal Cascading Style Sheets with konqueror, I am
	able to achive my objectives partially, but if a site uses
	something more specific than my rules, then the browser uses
	that instead of my wanted configuration.

	Is there anything else that I could try? I think that tweaking
	the font aliases files could help here, but I'm not sure how
	to do that.

	I'm crossposting this to debian-kde since I'd like this to
	work with X if possible, but if it works with konqueror, then
	I'm already satisfied.

	BTW, since we're talking about a Mach64 controller and testing
	and unstable, is anybody else seeing some corruptions on some
	pictures when browsing the web? I've noticed this with both
	Konqueror and Opera with my laptop and so, I don't know if the
	problem is specific to applications using QT.

	Unfortunately, the web is getting more and more graphics-based
	(QUITE unfortunately, may I add). :-(

	[]s, Roger...

  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/