Re: Using a MTA

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:15:16PM -0700, Steven Farrier wrote:
| I am using a Debian Linux computer which does not have its own domain, is
| behind a DSL connection and has a few users.
|
| Would a MTA be useful to me?

Yes, as Karsten said.

A full-blown MTA such as exim, sendmail, postfix, etc, would be useful
for the system to send you messages when it needs to (ie cron jobs
failing).  If all you want is to be able to send mail out to the rest
of the world (using, for example, mutt as your MUA) then 'ssmtp' would
suffice for accepting mail from a MUA and relaying it out to your ISPs
SMTP server.  ssmtp is easy to configure, but exim is better for a
real *nix system (meaining not cygwin).

-D