Re: Portmap?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:45:48PM +0000, john doe wrote:
> Just a simple question, what programs need "portmap"?

The two main portmapper clients are NFS and NIS.

> I've tried to somehow remove it from my installation, but I have not been
> able to find it.

`dpkg -S portmap` will tell you what package owns it.  (It's been
moved recently, so it may be owned by a different package on your
system than on mine.)

> PS. do not email me directly as I'm not on the list.

I can't make sense of this.  If you're not on the list and not mailed
directly, how do you expect to see any replies?

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox