Re: OT: Collecting data in text files

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:29:17PM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:
> I have am currently dual booting to debian and would
> like to change to rely more on debian and related
> applications.
>
> I currently collect lists of information on many
> topics such as restaurants, phone lists, file folders,
> slides using a database program, Lotus approach. Since
> I am the only user of this information I thought I
> could record this information in text files using vim
> and then use gawk and sed to access this data.
>
> I have done a little reading on how these programs
> work and would like to know if it is generally better
> to seperate columns with spaces or tabs for this
> purpose and if this would be the most appropriate
> technique for collecting and organizing such data.

You will find spaces produce a more predictable output
than tabs.
However why not use a database program on Linux, there are
quite a few, or a speadsheet program.
Adabas, postgres, mysql, KDE has a spreadsheet program,
StarOffice is an integrated Office suite with word processing,
database etc. Let the program do the hard work !
Cliff
<snip>