Re: X: Changing resolution

* Steve Dondley (stevedondley@mediaone.net) wrote:
> Problem:
> Pressing CTRL-ALT-+/- (numeric) doesn't change my screen resolution setting.  X (with sawmill)
> always starts out in 1024 x 768 with 16 bpp (65,000 colors) and I can't figure out how to change it.
>
> Background:
> For practice, I just installed X from scratch.  I configured the XF86Config file with xf86config.
> I've got 1 MB of video ram on an S3 chipset.  I set three resolution settings with the program:
> 1024 x 768 at 8 bpp,
> 1024 x 768 at 16 bpp,
> and 800 x 600 at 24 bpp.
>
> Question:
> How do I change monitor resolution/color depth in X?  To put it another way, how do I get
> CTRL-ALT-+/- to work?
>
> Thanks.  This is a great list.

Set up each display subsection with the resolutions you want, similar to:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth       24
		Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubsection

CTRL-ALT-+/- will rotate thru the modes you have defined.  Be aware, XFree86 uses a virtual
display, which if not explicitly defined, will be the first mode defined (i.e., the 1152
from mine.)  Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen will scroll the actual display around
the desktop. I know this sounds strange, but You'll See.