X: Changing resolution

Problem:
Pressing CTRL-ALT-+/- (numeric) doesn't change my screen resolution setting.  X (with sawmill) always starts out in 1024 x 768 with 16 bpp (65,000 colors) and I can't figure out how to change it.

Background:
For practice, I just installed X from scratch.  I configured the XF86Config file with xf86config.  I've got 1 MB of video ram on an S3 chipset.  I set three resolution settings with the program:
1024 x 768 at 8 bpp,
1024 x 768 at 16 bpp,
and 800 x 600 at 24 bpp.

Question:
How do I change monitor resolution/color depth in X?  To put it another way, how do I get CTRL-ALT-+/- to work?

Thanks.  This is a great list.