Re: colors wrong with X4.0.3/testing

dman saw fit to inform me that:
>On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:10:12PM -0500, DvB wrote:
>| I finally decided to get my woody machine at home to use the X4.0.3 nv
>| driver instead of the xserver-svga from 3.3.6 it had been using.
>|
>| After some struggling with apt-get and dpkg, I finally decided to
>| uninstall all X-related packages and start over. This worked fine except
>| that now colors are screwed up when I run mozilla or
>| netscape. Basically, blues are rendered as aqua/green and netscape, at
>| one point, complained about not being able to "allocate pixmap for
>| default background." Up until now mozilla/netscape are the only apps
>| that have given me trouble.
>|
>| Is there a package I'm still missing? Or maybe my XF86Config-4 file's
>| missing something? Any ideas?
>
>What color depth is your display running at?  Netscape is a color hog
>and if you don't have enough colors in your display, then it gets a
>"private" colormap.  It uses the same indices as other programs, but
>for it it refers to different colors.  That's when you get the funky
>looking color dance when you switch focus between netscape and other
>stuff.  I've seen this quite a bit on the Solaris systems at school,
>which I think are running at 8 bit color.  Afterstep is another color
>hog.  Just try running afterstep, netscape and xfig at the same time
>:-).

Change your color depth in XF86Config-4 file to 16 instead of 8. Everything
will work fine.

Warm Regards

Rajesh Fowkar                       hsejar@gmx.co.uk
Kurtarkar Nagari,Bldg-C,T4,         http://www.symonds.net/~rajesh/
Santacruz,Ponda-Goa-403401-INDIA    Powered By : Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 R-3
				    Kernel 2.4.9(ext3), Mutt 1.3.20i, IceWM
"Silence is the true friend that never betrays." - Confucious