Re: colors wrong with X4.0.3/testing

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:10:12PM -0500, DvB wrote:
| I finally decided to get my woody machine at home to use the X4.0.3 nv
| driver instead of the xserver-svga from 3.3.6 it had been using.
|
| After some struggling with apt-get and dpkg, I finally decided to
| uninstall all X-related packages and start over. This worked fine except
| that now colors are screwed up when I run mozilla or
| netscape. Basically, blues are rendered as aqua/green and netscape, at
| one point, complained about not being able to "allocate pixmap for
| default background." Up until now mozilla/netscape are the only apps
| that have given me trouble.
|
| Is there a package I'm still missing? Or maybe my XF86Config-4 file's
| missing something? Any ideas?

What color depth is your display running at?  Netscape is a color hog
and if you don't have enough colors in your display, then it gets a
"private" colormap.  It uses the same indices as other programs, but
for it it refers to different colors.  That's when you get the funky
looking color dance when you switch focus between netscape and other
stuff.  I've seen this quite a bit on the Solaris systems at school,
which I think are running at 8 bit color.  Afterstep is another color
hog.  Just try running afterstep, netscape and xfig at the same time
:-).

HTH,
-D